Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Helmet Hassle

So, Aurora got her head scanned finally!


Here's the low-down on her head:


We had to get notes to send to the head place, they called to schedule a head scan, they'll send notes and measurements to Medicaid, Medicaid will approve (using The Secret, can you tell??) and we'll have to go back for one more scan before sending the measurements off to the place in FL that makes the helmet. THAT takes about 10 or so days. So Aurora will be in her helmet before August is up!


The further up on her head you go the worse on the "scale" it is, so her doctor is sending those measurements to Medicaid so they will pay. Sneaky, isn't he!? I was under the impression that the helmet helped mold the head into shape, but what it really does is just fills in empty space in the helmet for the head to grow, and not empty space where we don't want it to keep growing abnormally. So basically it's just filling in voided space as she grows...which makes a lot more sense! I also thought it would be a clear plastic, but it's white (you can opt to get patterns on it, but we decided white is best so it won't clash with any of her outfits...gotta be thinking of that stuff, you know!!)
We went in for the scan, they had to put this do-rag on her head...cutest thing EVER! Bert laid her in the scanning "bed" and held her arms down and they took a quick 4D picture of her entire skull...it was super neat to see it on the computer.


Also, the doctor asked if she favors one side to the other (he called it something medical, I of course had no idea what he was talking about and now can't remember the term), which she does. He said because she's favoring one side it's actually helping shift the skull in the wrong direction. We have worked with her since birth in stretching out her neck so she doesn't favor that side. I was never told to do this, just mother's instinct to do it because I didn't want her to have difficulties later on. Which I'm glad I did because he told me to keep doing it at least 5-6 times as day to help correct it. He said also that if I don't do it and after she gets her helmet off if she continues to favor that side it can shift her skull once again, not near as bad as it is now, but some.


So she'll have to wear it for 3 months for 23 hours a day, only taking it off to bathe. Poor baby! But she sure will be the cutest girl in a helmet I have ever seen!!!

1 comment:

  1. Its amazing what dr's have come up with these days! That doo-rag picture is adorable! Hope the helmet fixes everything!

    ReplyDelete