I watched you today. I sat quietly on our rocking chair while you played. I watched you pick through your basket of toys, pick out what you were searching for, examine it and then toss it aside in hopes of finding another treasure in the basket. I watched you search around the room, and spot your dog, Brick, and I saw the joy he brought to you in your eyes. Then I watched you crawl over to him. My heart sank. My mind flashed back to when it was you and me on the very first night in the hospital. We were alone, you were sleeping and I cried. I was so overwhelmed with joy, excitement, fear, and love. I told you how much I had wanted you, how long I waited for you, how happy I was you were here, how much I loved you from the moment I heard your heart beating 9 months earlier.
Then my mind flashed back even further - to before I had you, before you were growing inside me, before...when you were just a thought, a hope, a prayer. I felt so alone. I cried every day. My heart was not full. I felt like something was missing. I was angry, sad, confused. I couldn't understand why God didn't want me to be happy. Why would he put me through this? Now I know. He was preparing me for you. For these feelings of joy, excitement, fear and love beyond what I could have ever imagined them to be.
I then thought about your name and how perfect it is for you. How we couldn't have picked a better name.
-Aurora (mythology) is the Latin word for dawn
--Aurora (astronomy), a glow in the sky
---Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty : In a far away land, long ago, lived a king and his fair queen. Many years had they longed for a child and finally their wish was granted. A daughter was born, and they called her Aurora. Yes, they named her after the dawn for she filled their lives with sunshine. And our story begins on that most joyful day.
You are the glowing ray of sunshine I see everyday. You are the most beautiful person I have ever met. Your heart is so innocent, so untainted by this hectic world we live in. You are my life.
My heart is full.
And so I thank you. Thank you for choosing me to be your Mom. Thank you for being such an important part of this family. Thank you for teaching me patience....kindness...LOVE.
Aurora....I love you.
Love,
Mommy
I'm going to stop reading your blogs girl because they make me cry! How beautiful is your letter to your daughter. THat is really neat about her name!
ReplyDelete