Well I did it! My first marathon! ....no, not really. I did the Ogden Marathon RELAY with 4 other girls - my stretch was 6.1 miles. It was amazing. I only have one picture to prove I was there and it costs 9$ for a TINY TINY digital copy so I have just been debating on buying it. It's actually a pretty decent picture so I'm sure I will break down and buy it and I'll post it later. I got a 'finishers metal' too, which I've decided is more like a "pity metal"! haha
It was such an amazing experience. I spent the day driving back and forth to Ogden twice to get my packet, then back home to drop Aurora off, then back to spend the night at our cousin's home. She was sweet enough to treat me to sushi at Tona's on 25th Street in Ogden. I tried all sorts of yummy rolls. Including Salmon Eye. Which is salmon stuffed with rice and on top fish eggs and...dun dun dun...a QUAIL EGG! It wasn't as bad as it looked, the rice helped.
We went back to their place and I had to sadly turn in for the night at 10 pm. I couldn't sleep at all. This was my first night away from my baby, couldn't sleep without Bert by my side and then not being in my bed - I tossed and turned all night. Finally at 3 am I got up, ready and on the road to find a good parking spot. DING DING DING - I was practically the first person there! My bus arrived at 4:45 am and I loaded up! We drove up Ogden canyon and got dropped off to the lovely sight of bonfires, live music, food - - then as I was unloading the bus they told me all that were on "leg 2" of the relay to load back up. So I did and they took us 7 miles down the canyon and dropped us off on the side of the road. We had to sit on the cold ground and wait for our relay partner to come meet us - waiting, waiting, waiting for about 2 hours IN THE COLD UP THE CANYON, I was freeeeeezing! Luckily there was a sweet girl that came later that had a blanket and offered part of it to me, so we snuggled! haha
By the time my relay person came my feet were frozen and I was exhausted from shivering that I had no energy left. That's when my trusty GU came in handy! Suck that stuff down and off I went! My feet were completely numb for the first 2 miles, which is part of the reason for my excellent time (8 min miles) so I decided I better slow down my pace so I could finish at a decent time. Bad idea....I just kept getting slower and slower. I got to run past Pineview Res., horses, beautiful homes and by the time I finished my hip, which had given me troubles a week prior, was D.O.N.E!
I didn't finish within my goal time, but considering my hip, it wasn't terrible time. I learned so much for my next race and I was just excited to be a part of such an amazing race. So many people, so much energy. It is addicting!
Now it's training time for my 1/2 marathon in September! CHEERS!
No comments:
Post a Comment