Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Adventures of Erin....

Ok ok, so I thought I better post a blog to get the story straight and also so I don't have to re-tell it 500 more times. 

So as you may or may not know, Bert and I had to go to Vegas over the weekend to take care of some final business with 'the business'...anywho...we left Sunday and came home Tuesday. I wish it was just that un-adventurous, but it wasn't.

I was advised by my nurse, and sister (who is also a nurse) to stop every 1-2 hours and get out and walk around, to prevent blood clots. Which we did...made for a long trip down there, but I was a good girl and didn't try and tough it out. SO! We got there and on Sunday everything was fine, Monday came, and we had a lot of running around we had to do before the meeting, we did all that, then the meeting then more running around and then this....  
 
I know, right? Pretty tough life. By the way, I know I look like a big loafing cow, but it was a perfect 80 degrees and I was lovin it and not really giving a crap what I looked like, besides, I wasn't ever going to see any of the other people at the pool again, so what should I care!?

So that was around 3 o'clock. By 5 o'clock I was feeling a little overheated, so Bert and I decided it was time to go upstairs and chill out before getting ready for dinner that night with Jana and Gabe. THEN...I started bleeding, and I'm not talkin a little spotting...I'm talkin BLOOD-BLOOD, like a period. Panicked, and having it be after hours at my doctors office in Utah, I called my sister, Amber. She told me to not panic, and that it was probably nothing. Just as a precaution though, I should call my doctors office and get a hold of the doctor on call and head to the Labor and Delivery area of the closest hospital. (Luckily, I knew where this hospital was at and also that they accepted my insurance!)

...for the next 5.5 hours this was me...



Laying in a hospital bed, hooked up to machines and being monitored is NOT the way I envisioned spending our vaca! But, what do you do? 

SO! To clarify - everything is FINE. The baby is fine, I am...ok. For the first like 3.5 hours it was just being monitored and waiting for the ultrasound tech to get her buns upstairs to take pictures of the baby, placenta, and every other internal organ she could see! Then they had to wait for the results, call the doctor and get his opinion. He said everything looked fine and the bleeding had stopped, but that since I was only 35 weeks pregnant and having contractions, he wanted those stopped before discharging me. So they gave me an IV of fluids, and an injection of Terbutaline to stop them. It was supposed to be 2 injections of the Terbutaline, but the first one did the job. Whew!

So then the drive home was very uncomfortable. I was just tired and wasn't feeling myself...still am not. So this morning I decided that I had better give my docs office a call just to update them on my status and all that. They wanted me to come in, so I did...doctor did an exam and what do you know...I start bleeding again! 

He said it can be pretty normal being that I am just about thinned out totally but still only dialted to a 2. He said I just have to take it easy but that bedrest is not necessary. Also said that since I am so close (36 weeks tomorrow) he will NOT stop labor if it starts. He really wasn't too concerned with anything - checked Aurora's heartbeat - perfect. Asked me how often she moves - often. And said "I'll see ya next week!"

GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!
So that's that...she wants to come, but she should really listen to her momma and know that if she waits she has more baby showers coming up!! ;) 
I'm hoping she will wait until after the 28th - ideally I'd love her born on April 1st, but we will see...really, I have no say in this and it's something I just better get used to! Haha!!

For the moment, I am still having contractions, but VERY far apart and not frequent enough to worry about, and I'm just really tired, which I'm sure is normal. 

That's that!!! Quite the adventure!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Keep you feet up sweetie! Take advantage of the rest... SOOOOON you want know what that word means anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was an adventure! I hope she waits for you to be ready! They never do though. Do like Mandi says and put your feet up and rest because she is right, that will end sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow!!! I can't believe you went through all that! Wow you are a strong momma. I hope your baby stays put for at least another week! But can't wait to see her when she arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww...I love you! I wanna see some more pictures of that baby! I also wanted to tell you due to that comment you left me about that grocery game that my sister had a class in utah so i know they should be doing classes in your area too...i'll let you know how to get ahold of someone(i'll ask my sister how she did it) so you can learn about it and get started you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete