Once upon a time there was a Princess named Erin. She loved to run! She ran races and ran all over town with two Mini Princesses in tow (because I don't quite want to be Queen yet!) . One day, after a 10 mile run, she noticed her left knee hurt and quickly tendonitits became present in her right foot. She limped and cried every day for over a week. When her Prince Bert asked if she wanted new shoes she replied "NO! These shoes are great, I just got them less than a year ago, they are great!"
....ok, enough of that. I can't bare to write in the 3rd person fairy-tale garble any longer! You get the point though, my feet were killing me and I refused new shoes. Then I went and got fitted at a local store while picking up a race packet. I tried on a bunch of new shoes and finally settled on a pair. Put them on hold in the thoughts that I'd be picking them up the next day because of payday. That night I did research on the 'neutral' shoe I was told would be a good fit for me. I have a 'slight' pronation on my right foot, but was told it was so slight I could fit in either a stability or neutral shoe. The next morning instead of just going with what I normally would and picking up the shoes on hold, I went to another local running specialty store, told them what the other store told me and they, 2 salesmen, completely disagreed. Said there is no way I should be in a neutral shoe.
I was there for over an hour. Talking shoes, running, socks, injuries, inserts, bands, etc.... you name it, we talked about it. I tried on probably a good 10 shoes. I ran in each of them. With Aurora along side as she was announcing to anyone in the store that "RUNNING SHOES ARE FUN!" Oh...I can't wait for her to run her first race! anyway...
I settled on an amazing stability shoe, oh did I mention a WHOLE SIZE UP from what I have been running in...since, oh - - I was in High School! I felt great in a 6.5 which is a half size up from what I'm used to, but when I tried on the 7 (only to please the salesman...thinking there is no way I want to be in a 7! I am proud of my small foot!) I could NOT believe the difference. My toes had room to breathe, to move! They weren't stuffed in a shoe, they cried "THANK YOU!" As soon as I put them on.
The reason you'll hear runners getting mean blisters and black toenails from running (usually long distance running...1/2 marathons, etc...) is because your feet can swell a whole size after that long of a distance. Makes perfect sense. I just always thought my feet were fine.
So here's my happy Cinderella shoe story ending. I have myself some amazingly cute Mizuno Wave Inspire 7's. I have ALWAYS ran in Nikes...but I am no longer sticking to one brand...if the shoe fits!!! Right!? I cannot wait to test run these tonight before my 2nd annual Wasatch Woman Love Your Body 10k tomorrow!
Moral of the story::: GET FITTED FOR SHOES! I cannot express how important it is. I'm not sure the reason we treat our feet so poorly with ill-fitting shoes when they carry us every single day to where we want to go. But it should be against the law! ;) Don't get me wrong, I love myself some sexy heels, but when I don't HAVE to be in them...you'll be seeing me sporting my new Mizunos!
Happy Running Ya'll!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment